Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Holy Sweet Potatoes, Batman!

A question I enjoy asking people every year around this time is what their favorite Thanksgiving dish is. It's fun to watch people when they talk about it, whether their favorite is stuffing or green bean casserole or cranberry sauce or the turkey. People rarely seem content with quick descriptions of those dishes. They usually tell me who makes it and how they've been making it for years and sometimes what's in it, little realizing how their eyes light up and their voices fill with relish as they talk.

For me, that dish is my Aunt Kathy's sweet potato casserole. Oh. Man. As a kid, I refused to eat it because I didn't think I liked sweet potatoes. But one year at the beginning of high school, someone got me to try a bite. My eyes were opened, and I haven't looked back since. The way Aunt Kathy makes it, this dish gets eaten up faster than pretty much any other food item on the table. And she doesn't mess with that marshmallow topping nonsense. The topping is pecans and brown sugar goodness all the way.

I'm seriously salivating right now, just thinking about it.

In a conversation with a friend the other day, I mentioned how much I was looking forward to Aunt Kathy's sweet potatoes. Her response was, "Lusting after that food already, huh?"

When she first said it, it seemed funny, so I just smiled and said, "Oh yeah! For weeks now." However, the more I thought about it, the more it just didn't sit right with me. Is excitement and anticipation of delicious food equal to unholy craving? Is the longing for Thanksgiving food - or any food - wrong? Is it sinful in any way? I don't want to dismiss the idea just because it might challenge the way I think about food. So let's think about it for a minute.

I know that gluttony is a sin, and the simple dictionary definition of that is eating excessively. But I don't know that it's the eating itself that offends God. It's the idolatry that lies in eating too much. The act of putting one's hope in food rather than in God, believing that food will satisfy the longings and soothe the aching of one's heart, the overindulgence in one of God's gifts that He pours on us to steward and enjoy. When I feel depressed or discouraged or bored, and I turn to food instead of God, seeking to fill my soul by filling my belly, that reveals idolatry. This kind of eating is not okay. It's not honoring to God.

But does that mean that we can't eat our fill of delicious food and enjoy it wholeheartedly? When Jesus fed the five thousand, the Gospel of Mark says that "They all ate and were satisfied" (6:42). A speaker at my church said that means that the people ate and were stuffed. They didn't just eat until they weren't hungry. They ate until they were completely full. Jesus gave them more food than they needed just to live. He gave them a feast.

The story of that miracle glorifies God, and we can glorify God by feasting and thanking Him for the bounty He gives us.

Last night I had a pre-Thanksgiving feast with some friends, and for dessert, we shared an amazingly rich chocolate pie. After my first bite, I smiled at my friend Beka and said, "Oh! This is praise Jesus food!" I say that often when I eat something delicious because I want praise to be my response when I enjoy food. God created taste and flavor. He gave us tastebuds, and He created food not only to sustain us but to delight us. It's true, we can deal with food sinfully, just as we can with anything else.

But our enjoyment of food can also be holy. When we eat food and delight in it and thank God for it, that is good. God delights in our delight in His gifts when it is ultimately delight in Him. So when I eat Aunt Kathy's sweet potato casserole tomorrow, I am going to eat it with joy and praise God for it. And I'm going to eat Thanksgiving dinner till I'm stuffed, and I won't feel one bit guilty. I will enjoy great food, because I have a great God who gives delicious gifts.

1 comment:

  1. Good one, Em-J! I will join you in that. God created us with good food and functional taste buds, and we can thank Him for that. :)

    ReplyDelete